On the road…

Hume Plantation – Slave Street Project – Cat Island, SC 2017

Selections from my trip to the Tom Yawkey Wildlife Center

(I am going to post selections each day from my journal along with the pictures that correspond to that day. I hope you enjoy reading about my most recent archaeological journey!)

Tuesday, May 30th, 2017

On Saturday morning, I packed my things for my next adventure. My mother and I left around 1 p.m. from Bradenton, Fl, to make our way four hours to Yulee. My mother and I always have a lot of fun on road trips. We sing along to music and we discuss our deeper thoughts and, most of all, we observe new parts of the world together and somehow our minds are finally working on the same wavelength. We also spot curious places and sometimes stop…Because we stopped a bunch of times, we didn’t get to Yulee until around 9 p.m.

I met Sherry in summer of 2015 in Riverside, California at my first field school experience. I thought she was very friendly. Then, we both got into a field school in SC on Cat Island. When she offered to help me out with the travel and hotel for a night, I couldn’t believe it. Friendly was an understatement.

Anyway, we got to her house and after the first awkward hellos, my mother and I felt comfortable talking with her. The next day we had Mexican food at Cantina Louie – which was amazing. I had my first real tamale. We were stuffed after so we all took naps. When we woke up, it was time for my mom to make the trip back home, which made me a little worried about her, as always. It took us a while to say goodbye.

Once my mother left, Sherry and I talked a lot and she and her husband Fons taught me how to play 3-1-3. Then, she showed me her rock/fossil/shell/etc. collection which was awesome. As we talked, it became apparent that we would get along great.

The next day, Monday, I slept in kind of late. Sherry, Fons, their son Sam and I all went to Cracker Barrel for lunch, and it was my first time there. It was pretty good. That night, we played cards again, but went to bed earlier since we had to be on the road the following day to Georgetown, SC. That was today.

During the road trip, we talked some more, marveled at the sights, went through a bit of a hail storm and I did some crochet. Driving through Charleston, I was reminded of how much I loved it there before. Now, I am at a hotel called the Baymont Inn in Georgetown, SC. We had dinner at The Big Tuna in the waterfront historical district, which was beautiful and peaceful.

The Arthur Ravenel Jr. bridge in Charleston, SC
View from our hotel room at the Baymont Inn

We have to be down in the lobby to meet Dr. Moses at 8:20 a.m. I’m nervous as always but excited. =]

Goodnight for now,

❤ Ashley



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s